Eoin Quigley retires

posted 1 Feb 2014, 12:13 by luke hennessy   [ updated 11 Jan 2017, 05:56 by Cian OLionain ]



WEXFORD and former St Martin's hurler Eoin Quigley has retired from inter-county action at the age of 32. Quigley, son of 1968 All-Ireland winner John, had his final session with the squad last Friday when he told the other players of his decision.




A winner of Leinster senior and U-21 medals, the former All Star nominee has ended a decade of service to the county due to home and work commitments.

It was not an easy decision to make as he believes Liam Dunne's team will compete for honours in the next couple of seasons, but the midfielder-cum-forward feels he has made the right choice.

"There are a lot of different reasons. Age wouldn't have been one of them because I felt that my legs were still quite good, and my speed was still there," said Quigley.

"For a start, I live in Cork, which is about two-and-a-half hours away. I wasn't getting home after training until after midnight and I had to get up early for meetings the next morning.

"My wife is due our first baby next month. On top of that we're building a house and I have a new role in the company.

"The Wexford boys are making a huge commitment, so it would have been unfair for me to stay involved if I couldn't give the same."

A rep for a pharmaceutical company, Quigley began giving serious consideration to his future over the Christmas period.

"I wasn't really ready to make the final decision, so I said I'd play another few games with the lads in January," he said. "Last week, I came home late from work and I had 15 minutes to get a sandwich before hitting the road. I was wrecked and I just thought that it was getting too much.

"I rang Liam. In fairness, he was excellent. He suggested that I say my goodbyes in person if I was certain that I wanted to call it a day.

"I've been there over 10 years so I did that. It was a nice way to finish."