Allianz Cumann na mBunscol MiniSevens Finals 2012

Piercestown girls have too much firepower for Rathnure

20 April 2012

Piercestown 3-3
Rathnure 0-5

An excellent team performance saw Piercestown girls claim the Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens Camogie title in Bellefield on Wednesday against reigning champions Rathnure. The large support who gathered to watch these two fierce rivals battle it out were treated to a match full of skill and fantastic scores with both teams giving their all until the final whistle.

Rathnure were first to get off the mark with a well-taken score from Aoife Guiney. Piercestown then began to make full use of both the breeze and huge puck outs from their goalkeeper Niamh Dunne when they got their first score of the match through Lettie Whelan. In the fifth minute Lettie also got the first goal of the match, scoring with a very skilful handpass from a tight angle after the ball broke through the Rathnure defence. Rebecca Hamilton's brave defending and clearance then set up another Piercestown point scored by Clodagh Walsh. For the rest of the half the ball flew up and down the pitch and scores were hard to come by with great defending by Ciara O'Conner, Rebecca Hamilton (Piercestown) and Rhys Hogan, Leah Butler and Ashlynn O' Leary (Rathnure). Aoife Guiney got her second point of the day after a long solo and then just before halftime, Rathnure goalkeeper Lara Conran made an important save to keep her team within one goal of the lead.

Piercestown came out after the break and really upped their game and quickly extended their lead through another point from Lettie Whelan. Rathnure were unlucky not have their first goal when a Nora Higgins free was saved and tapped over the bar Niamh Dunne. Skilful Piercestown defender Ciara O'Connor responded with a fantastic catch and long delivery to Lettie Whelan who scored her second goal of the day to put Piercestown in control but still Rathnure were not giving up and Nora Higgins replied quickly with a point for her team.

All the luck seemed to be on the Piercestown side from here on in though and a third Lettie Whelan goal from long range seemed to seal the title for the South Wexford girls. Fittingly the last score of the match was to be a driving score into the wind by Nora Higgins after a great catch, showing that these Rathnure girls never give up but on this occasion the firepower of Lettie Whelan had proved to be too much for Rathnure on the day.

Rackard League Co. Treasurer presented the cup to winning captain Rebecca Hamilton and highlighted the long traditions of both clubs in the girls' competition and commended both teams on an excellent match.

Piercestown NS
1. Niamh Dunne
2. Ciara o' Connor
3. Rebecca Hamilton
4. Ella o' Connor
5. Amy o' Leary
7. Lettie Whelan
8. Clodagh Walsh
9. Anna Hennessy
10. Megan Carthy
20. Ceira Whelan



Piercestown boys seal the double

20 April 2012

Piercestown 1-7
Gorey CBS 0-6

The Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens finals were finished in style in Bellefield on Wednesday last with Piercestown and Gorey CBS treating supporters to a tense final that was very close right up until the end. The low scoring nature of the final was a credit to the hooking, blocking and tackling from both teams as they gave their all to claim the title.

Piercestown free taker Ben Stafford got the first score of the game with a well-taken long range free into the wind. Gorey were denied a wonderful goal when Conor Stafford saved brilliantly from a Seán Delaney shot and tapped it over the bar. Ben Stafford replied with a great score from play, an excellent effort out on the left sideline. This lead was then extended with a point from a Philip Dempsey 65.

Evan O'Dwyer pointed a Gorey CBS free to bring the difference back to a point and for the remaining half Gorey defended gallantly to keep themselves in the game as Piercestown put them under severe pressure. Ben Stafford scored a free from a tight angle to keep the halt-time score close at 0-4 to 0-2.

The second half began with a similar pattern of play to the first. Ben Stafford scoring another point from a free and then Gorey midfielder Sean Delaney scoring his second point from play. When Gorey levelled the scores in the fourth minute through another Evan O'Dwyer free, the game was set up for a thrilling finale.

The key moment of the game arrived when Sean Delaney made a huge solo run from midfield and seemed certain to score a goal only to be blocked heroically by Philip Dempsey when only yards from goal. Piercestown then won a free and cleared from defence only to win another free high up the pitch and it was from here that Ben Stafford scored the games decisive goal, a wonderful dipping effort that creeped in right under the crossbar. With four minutes remaining, Gorey had plenty of time to get back in the game but again they were to be foiled by the great work rate of the Piercestown backs and midfield. Ben Stafford put the cap on a wonderful performance with a huge point from just under the stand in the ninth minute and when Dickie Murphy blew the final whistle it sealed a great day at the office for the Piercestown boys and girls teams. Piercestown Captain Philip Dempsey accepted the cup from Rackard League Co. Treasurer John Brennan who congratulated both teams on an enjoyable final that was fought to the very end and commiserated with Gorey who earlier in the week had won the Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens football title.
Piercestown NS
1. Conor Stafford
2. Philip Dempsey
4. Conor Devereux
5. Jack Devereux
6. Ben Stafford
7. Jordan Hayes
8. David Cantwell
9. Simon Curran
11. Philip McGrath
12. Matthew Duffy